Friday 30 March 2012

Église St Pierre de Montmartre

Everybody knows the Sacré Cœur, the white church situated up on the second highest point in Paris (the highest point is in Belleville). Less well know is the church just behind the Sacré Cœur, Église Saint Pierre de Montmartre. It is thought to be one of the oldest churches in Paris, built between 1133 and 1147. The church can be seen from the famous Place de Tertre.



When I go up la Butte to the Place de Tertre for my early morning strolls I often go into the Église St Pierre de Montmartre. I love the simple creamy stone vaults. Unlike the Sacré Cœur it is usually empty. Calm and peaceful. 


I love the stain glass windows by Maurice Max-Ingrand in 1953.


Intense rich colours.



Fish.


Bricks.


Chains.


Earlier this week when I was there, I noticed their candles.




They also have red candles. Those of you who regularly follow my blog will know that I'm partial to red.


So while the Sacré Cœur steals the lime light, the Église St Pierre de Montmartre is definitely worth a visit, especially if you want a quiet moment to yourself. Do you have a special quiet spot where you like to go in Paris?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.