Wednesday 22 December 2010

Beautiful strangeness

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion -  Francis Bacon

I thought it would be a fitting, as the year draws to a close, to gather together some beautiful oddities that I have come across over the past year. They appear here in chronological order.

This first one, a frozen 7, I actually spotted at the beginning of this year, yep it was cold then too.
Here we have a broken glass door. Since I took the photo the whole pane fell out, but it took about nine months to do so.
Here are some curled shoots peering over the Cimetière de Montmartre wall. This is how they look in the bleak mid winter.
Here is a photo I took in the car while driving along the périphérique, the horrendous Paris ring-road. It looks okay here.
This is a mysterious tree in Parc Monceau (Paris 8e). When the leaves first grow in spring they are pink. Later they become green and the tree looks completely normal again.
I saw this gorgeous curl in Le Parc de Bercy in May.
A crescent moon hangs from a lamppost.
The Eiffel Tower hangs from a television aerial.
A monster at the Louvre.
Big foot at Square des Batignolles.
A reflected painting, Donegal town.
Bulbs on the merry go round by the Sacré Cœur.
Red leather (Marché aux Puces de Saint-Ouen).
A stone lion (Marché aux Puces de Saint-Ouen). I want one.
Here is an extraordinary cat that was lost in our courtyard for a few hours.
And then there's my friend the Hippie Lamppost.
Here is an attractively decaying hinge.
And here is a bauble on the Sacré Cœur. Merry Christmas!


1 comment:

  1. Great pictures, (not that the broken glass is a good thing), but I like that picture!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.