Friday 8 February 2013

A morning tinged with light

Slowly slowly the sun is rising a little earlier every day. Today as I walked with my daughter down to the junction where she meets her friend to continue the second half of her school run, I looked up at the sky and saw this. A beautiful inky blue sky, a pale glow of hope on the horizon. 


After dropping her off I walked up rue Lepic to enjoy the early rain-free morning. Something I haven't had the pleasure of for a while!

Looking down rue Tholozé from rue Lepic I got a view of Paris.


Looking north I saw le Moulin Blute-fin, its' sails silhoutted against the blue sky. Lampposts looking like hanging lanterns in the dark.


I always get confused while trying to gather information about the Montmartre windmills on Rue lepic. It seems that what we refer to as Le Moulin de la Galette is actually TWO windmills, le Moulin Blute-fin, and le Moulin Radet (which now houses a restaurant called Le Moulin de la Galette). It was in 1870 that le Moulin Blute-fin and its' gardens housed the famous dancing hall/guinguette Le Moulin de la Galette. This guinguette, was painted by many of the impressionist artists, notably Renoir who painted the very well know tableau 'La Bal du Moulin de la Galette'.

As I got further up the hill I saw the Sacré Coeur peeking out over the roof tops.


At 8h00 on the dot the street lights went out.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank-you Balzac44. Fingers crossed we have more dry clear mornings ahead of us! BB

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.