Saturday 28 November 2015

The Sacré Coeur Up Close

I've been living eight minutes walk from the Sacré Coeur for the past 10 years, however the last time I went up to the top was in 1981. 34 years ago! Oh my, that makes me feel so old.

Time to do something about this. Access to the dome is at the west side of the Basilica: 4€ for children and 6€ for grown ups. Given the fantastic view you get from the top I think this is money well spent. 300 steps take you to the top. For me, the physical side of the ascent was fine, I've been living in Montmartre for long enough to have plenty of practice with stairs. The narrowness of the stairs, however, was a little challenging. Claustrophobics beware! As well as those prone to dizziness.

What helps the journey up to the top is the way you pop out at at different levels and get to admire the domes and roofscape 'eye-to-eye'.



Not to mention the gargoyles.


The textures and patterns on the domes are right there for you to enjoy.



I often admire the copper winged statue from ground level. Here I got to see it up close. 


Looking up.


Looking across: a copper lightening conductor.



Looking down: traces of copper, bleed across the roof.



And then of course there are the magnificent views across Paris. Towards La Défense ...


Towards the Eiffel Tower.



What's not to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.